Skin Care Tips for Men
Skin Care Tips for Men
We all know that women are vigilant when it comes to skin care but we think men should be too. Good hygiene is a must so here are some useful tips for men to follow.
1. Don’t skip the sunscreen: Most men have a pretty minimal regimen when it comes to skin care. A lot of them may even think that applying sunscreen doesn’t apply to them. But it does. Especially when growing long beards are a fad which can cover a whole lot of skin on their faces, men might think to skip putting on sunscreen. To all men (and women) out there, it’s very important to put sunscreen on every day. If there’s a regimen you don’t want to skip, it’s this one. Too much sun exposure can lead to dark spots, wrinkles, and the big C word- cancer. So please, lather on. Not just on your face but everywhere where your skin is going to be exposed in the sun.
2. Find a facial cleanser that works for you: Everyone has different skin types. There’s no facial cleanser out there that is a one size fits all so do your research and find a face wash that you can use regularly. Facial cleansers are good for multiple reasons. One, it cleans your face (obviously). It helps get rid of dirt and oil that can lead to breakouts. Secondly, it acts like a primer. Just like a blank canvas, cleansers clean the skin before putting anything on it, for example, your sunscreen. It’s not a good idea to put stuff on your face when there’s still dirt and impurities there from the day before. It causes break outs.
3. Single blade razors are better: Since multi-blades are more popular, people assume they are better for shaving but some research think otherwise. Back in the olden days, men used to shave with double edge safety razors. The benefit with these razors are that they glide on the face much smoother and they won’t pull the hair to cut unlike most multi-blades leading to ingrown hairs. Experts recommend, which leads us to the next point…
4. Use quality shaving oil/shaving cream: Before shaving, use warm water to open up the pores. Lather quality shaving cream with a shaving brush to cut the hair without irritating it. Shave towards the grain. Then apply after shave lotion to soothe the skin. Make sure that your shaving lotion has the essential oils like jojoba oil and tea tree oil that help with irritation and bumps.
5. Always shower after a workout: Showering after a work out is not only good hygiene etiquette, and good for social reasons. It’s also good for your skin. A good portion of the population suffer from back acne (or also known as bacne). To prevent breaking out on your back, it’s wise to get rid of those unwanted dirt, oil, and sweat by showering after working out, or after doing extraneous activities, or even just after being exposed to pollutants. An also great tip is to wear lose and breathable clothing so there would be less dirt that gets trapped on your skin.
6. Water is your friend: Keep hydrated. It’s one of the easiest and healthiest habits we can do for our body, not just the skin. Water not only helps us clean our system but it also plumps up our skin making us look younger. If you don’t want wrinkles, keep a bottle of water right next to you. The recommended daily water intake for men is 3.7 liter (15 cups) so drink up!