Wrinkle Prevention – The easy steps
There are some very easy daily preventative steps you can take to help prevent or slow the aging process down. Some of these are so easy we don’t have an excuse not to do them.
1) Do not wash your face as often with tap water. (Once a day is sufficient.) It strips the skin of its natural oils which provide moisture. Chlorinated water, particularly at high temperatures, poses special risks for wrinkles.
2) After you do wash your face, pat dry and immediately apply a water-based moisturizer to help lock in the moisture or a moisturizer which contains hyaluronic acid.
3) Always apply sunscreen, even if going outdoors for short periods of time. Research has shown that applying a cream containing a UVA and UVB protective sunscreen every day helps prevent sun-related skin damage. When we walk out into sun during the summer, within 5 minutes the sunlight creates free radicals in the skin. This results in an inflammatory cascade that accelerates the aging process, leading to wrinkles and discoloration.
4) Avoid drinking alcohol within 3 hours of bedtime. Alcohol increases the risk for leaks in the capillaries, which allows more water in and causes sagging and puffiness. Capillary leakage increases when you lie down. Alcohol also dehydrates the skin, and when you are dehydrated, the skin looks much worse and you are also in a pro-inflammatory state that accelerates the aging process.
5) Lie on your back when sleeping. This helps offset the effects of gravity. It is essential to get enough sleep. When you get enough sleep, you release another hormone that is actually a youth hormone called human growth hormone. Human growth hormone builds us up rather than break us down. It results in increased muscle mass, thicker skin, stronger bones, and an overall more youthful body.